Sweet Cara-mint

I finished the sleeve of the short sleeve cardigan that I began yesterday and cast on for the front. It's in Patons Smoothie DK and is an usual variegated colour.

It's bugging me because it reminds me of something, an ice cream I think. It is a very soft mix of colours, a pale mint green, soft caramel and hint of pink cream. I remember the ice cream parlour that opened in Hervey Bay when I was an early teen and going in there with Dad. He'd buy us an ice-cream as a treat during school holidays and it seemed to take forever to choose the flavour to try each day. Maybe that's why he let us have double cones, so we could choose two more quickly than one.

So as Patons didn't name it, I've decided to call it "Cara-mint". It is knitting up so nicely. I have to admit I hate using 2 balls like one is supposed to with variegated yarns, unless it pools horribly, I would rather just let it happen.


And like most of my projects, I'm not quite following the pattern. It's based on one from one of the pattern books put out by Patons for this yarn, but the original has frilled sleeves which are so not me, so I've replaced this with a lacy rib that I will do at the bottom of each piece and again at the neckline instead of the patterns edging. I've never been into doing a few rows of garter stitch as an edging. Not when there are so many patterns and ideas out there crying out to be used.

And holiday time is a good time to be working on an ice-cream flavoured project!

No comments:

Post a Comment