We interrupt this program for some philosophising...

No, I am not up to my ears in roses, chocolate or any other kind of Valentine Day's gifts. 

Like so many others I find the commercially driven sentiment tasteless and crass, and the message that unless a small fortune is outlaid and gifts given, then one has missed out or is unloved or there is something wrong with you.  And if you have the audacity to question it, then bah humbug Scrooge of all seasons are you.

This sentiment is driven by the commerce of our world, only interested in the contents of our wallets and not our hearts. Call me cynical, but Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Valentines Day and Christmas are not defined by what you wrap in shiny paper and the extra entry on your credit card statement. 

Too bad if you had the parent from hell, or unable to have children, or single, or alone and these days cause you pain; as long as the cash registers chime.The gleeful hand rubbing over profits is more important than someone's feelings.

So what are all these days supposed to be about? 

The answer is simple. They are supposed to be about love. It is the fabric of all your days. Some days are threadbare and some are richly woven. 

So to my chocolate-eyed love, what would I like today? The same as everyday since we met - just you, just your love. And I give the same in return. Everyday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment