After promising myself not to buy anymore fabric, patterns, or yarn or associated products (unless it was something like a button that was needed to finish off something made from the stash), I ended up wandering through Lincraft this morning.
Why was I there? Was it some diabolic attempt at self torture?
Not really, but I did have a reason for going there.
Burning a hole in my purse was an about-to-expire $10 off voucher from their loyalty program. I looked, and as I find more and more with this store, it really is not the place it was once. If it wasn't for the voucher and the fact that their pattern section has chairs, I don't think I'd go there very much.
I should explain the chairs. The local Spotlight has cheaper patterns but the pattern books are on a cold, hard desk with no chairs, and this is not conducive for a good browsing session. So I go to Lincraft once a season, have a nice long flick through all the catalogues, make a list and unless Lincraft has a good sale on, go to the cheaper store with my list. A bit cheeky? I wouldn't do it except it takes a more than a good few minutes to browse the new catalogues, and standing for half an hour or more on a hard concrete floor makes my back so sore it's not funny.
Anyway, back to the reason I was in Lincraft — the voucher. Then I spotted them in the discount baskets at the front. Dark chocolate yarn. Okay, it's only the cheap no-brand acrylic, but the stuff is so easy to wash and wear, it makes a practical garment. And I'd always wanted to make a dark chocolate winter cardigan and all I could ever find was black, black or black or browns that looked like they'd been meant to be orange and someone stuffed up the dye pots and the resulting colour was truly awful. (I hate orange as a colour en masse, a tiny splash as part of a pattern, fine, but as more than that, only pumpkins wear it well)
And there was this brown, and the yarn was close to the window so I could actually see the colour in real daylight. Dark rich brown. Sigh. Bliss. I snaffled enough balls for the planned garment, and went to pay. With the sale price and my voucher, my cardigan will cost less than $6. I paid and as I walked off down the open air mall towards the carpark, the cool breeze blew the sobering thought through my head.....that the buttons will probably cost more than the garment itself and that I forgot to buy some.
Oh well, it's a good thing that I've still got one more loyalty voucher to go, and it's not due to expire yet................
No comments:
Post a Comment