I need a change, perhaps a day off, perhaps a week off, perhaps just some respite from my current workload. Work has been beyond fun at the moment. There have been many things happening within the business and changes coming which I am quite excited about. I'm also still working on solving a complex project which haa few glitches which need fixing. So far so good, but intense concentration is needed on top of everything else that is coming my way. There are other issues and without being specific, today was a day where my straw-to-camel ration was exceeded. Hence the vent. Vent over. Call it over-tired and move on.
On the knitting front, there has been good progress on my "I Refuse to be Aran" cardigan.
A few weeks ago I was flipping through a book I'd won as a prize for the best letter to the editor in an Aussie knitting magazine that showed real potential at the time. (It's now still available but very poor in ideas, articles and projects and I refuse to purchase it. It shall remain nameless.) I saw this simple pattern that was named something like Simple or Easy Herringbone. I started using it in a sock, and loved it. So easy. I'd bought some balls in an off white acrylic when it first came onto the market. It cried out that it should be an aran pattern but I needed a simple cardigan or top for work, so off I went. I started it a few weekends ago, and now have some pieces nearly complete and I am really enjoying the soothing easy 4 stitch repeat pattern. I don't know if I will finish it for this winter, but it will be nice to have to wear if it does get cold again. My goal is to finish it before the end of this month. Then I am going to find the jade bamboo 4 ply one I started last year and work on that at home, and the chambray blue one in the same yarn that has the whole body knitted as one piece up to the armholes on circulars as my travel time project. As it is 4 ply and I seem to knit for hours and hours and then only have a centimetre of length added, I am going to set Christmas as the deadline for them.
I sometimes think I take on too much, I burn the candle at both ends and try melting the bit in the middle with a blow torch at the same time. I'm the picture of the dog with the whole bone shoved into its mouth sideways. So I want to set some goals, for each day, weekend, month and stick to them. At the moment I feel surrounded by constant chaos and I need to take charge of my own life again as it is flying by and little to show for it. It would be good to be able to look at a nice tidy drawer with a few completed knitted garments and say "I did that this year" instead of yet another tidy tub in the corner with another half dozen sort-of-somewhere-between-a-third-and-three-quarters-done-to-finish-if-I-have-the-time-mess. And that piled on more tubs of fabric and yarn stash. And a rapidly aging wardrobe that desperately needs the garments the stash is supposed to be providing. Sometimes I read my favourite vintage sites and blogs and think I have cornered the market for about 2050 when there maybe a future me is looking for those turn of the century nostalgia patterns in pristine condition!
Enough of me for one night. It's bedtime. The washing machine says it is the dryer's turn for the load of work clothes. And a cup of soothing hot tea, a hot shower and the feel of lovely clean teeth beckon me. I reckon that's sufficient.
No comments:
Post a Comment