I guess that's why they call it the Blues..

Life's a bit blue these days.
It seems to be the colour I am surrounded by right now.
Some good some not so good.

Good Blue Number One.

For most of this winter I have been keeping an eye open for a good bargain price and quality in a dark navy blue yarn. I want to make a fairly plain basic cardigan for work, and wanted a non-wool yarn to make laundering easier. The only one I could ever find in the right colour was a lovely blue in Totem, and while I do adore this yarn, because it is wool, it's didn't meet the laundering requirements.
Then this morning in Spotlight I found the right colour in a sale price $2 a 100g ball acrylic that felt nice and soft. The only problem was the label had no approximate length so I had to guestimate based on similar yarns and at $2 a ball, tossed in a spare just in case.
I'll knit a sleeve first and I will be able to tell from that if I guessed correctly as I usually get nearly a whole sleeve from one ball, just the last 4 or so inches of the top of the sleeve shaping come from a second ball. I have a basic pattern I use each time for an 8 ply set-in sleeve cardigan with buttoning up to the bustline then v-shaped to the neck. I've made it so many times I know that 100 rows exactly from the rib cuff is my perfect length for a sleeve. The shape is so basic I can add various textures, patterns or cables to the pattern quite easily. Or change rib cuffs to picot hems depending on my mood.
This blue has made me very happy, especially as I found some lovely blue buttons to complete it. And it will cost me only about $25 including buttons.


Good Blue Number Two

There is definitely spring in the air and the blue in the sky is saying so. The pansies I planted one cold early May afternoon in a drizzling rain have all started to flower. Tomorrow I will go out and weed them and try to start finishing off the major revamp of the garden bed with the mulch that needs to be laid down. I'm keeping about a foot of space along the footpath for annuals while the rest is going to be look after themselves hardy drought tolerant shrubs and ground covers that will take about 2 years to develop into a nice mass of shapes and flowers. The pansies look so cheerful, I love them!

Good Blue Number Three

I always forget how one of my medications ages and I slide downwards into tiredness and sluggishness about 6 weeks before the package finishes, despite keeping the medication stored exactly as the chemist says to and despite what the doctors saying about it being a medication that takes 2 months to have much effect either way. When I was first diagnosed with this about 12 years ago, the doctor told me then that it would be 2 months before I noticed changes. Sorry Doc, but it took barely 2 weeks for the worst symptoms to go. And for years I told doctors that the medication lost potency before the bottle was empty and was told that it was impossible as the pills didn't work like that. Then the manufacturers changed how the pill was packaged and said it must be stored in the refrigerator because....that's right, the old way? Lost potency. I always have to make sure I have the medication well inside the expiry date by the time the last tablets are to be taken as I have had batches that were close to the expiry date and it was as if I was not even taking any medication, they had so little effect.
So what's the good blue? After a few weeks of exhaustion, it finally clicked in my head that I was on the last 20 or so tablets and a new box of pills was due to come into my life !! Last weekend I had the prescription filled and sorry Doc, this week I'm a new person. It took just 3 days for the improvement to happen !!

Bad Blue Number One

Work. The wrong person in a job making the whole office tense. Walking on eggshells. Placating. And a growing sense of distrust. The person is new and not coping, just not right. And now I have a massive tension headache to spoil my weekend directly caused by this.

Bad Blue Number Two.

Grumble and vent - another weekend doing housework and washing and getting ready for another working week. So what's the blue? Nothing really, just needed to vent.

So now the washing machine has finished its first round of duty and my tea cup is now empty. I must go sort the whites from the blues....

No comments:

Post a Comment