Sometimes in the middle of everything that is going on, I get these flashes from the past. It is usually like a short movie or picture, something stirring from inside my memory. Sometimes it's a sound or scent or feeling. It's quite comforting in many ways and disconcerting in others. I'm never sure if it means something or just my brain doing a bit of filing and the memory has escaped for a split second. I wonder if this happens to other people? It's not a ready sort of thing to discuss in conversation, just in case it is a bit weird and suddenly I have people looking askance at me!
I have to admit I was exhausted by Friday afternoon; it was a huge week. I came home and ate dinner and I can't even recall what I ate. Then took some herbal sleep tablets, and some headache pills for my pounding head and had a nice warm shower. Would my brain turn off? No, it kept going over and over and over again all the problems at work. I grabbed my knitting and determinedly focused on it, and the soothing rhythm of counting stitch patterns and the pills soon combined to dull my brain and allow my an unbroken 12 hours of sleep. Today I've used all my time to knit and knit. I've finished adding the rib band to one of the fronts of my cardigan, and my sleep. Then as dinner cooked, spent a pleasant hour or so flicking through Nicky Epstein's three books on edges and finishes looking for creative ideas. One bowl of spag bol later, I had seen some great ideas, but nothing that I could use for the next batch of yarn I had in mind. But I did see some edges that I think I can use for other sorts of projects.
Now I'm watching Frost, and really enjoying the repeats of this great show, but I am again so tired. I would love to sleep a deep long sleep or have a nap but not have it make the next night's necessary sleep a fight to fall asleep. Especially on Sunday nights. There is something so cruel when my body refuses to fall asleep at a reasonable hour and then I have to face the 5.30 am alarm and a full day's slog at work with four hours of broken napping to go on. Sigh.
It's now 12.25am, and Frost is about to pounce and solve his case. I must get into bed and warm and snuggled down to see if I can slide straight into the land of Nod as the final credits roll. I just wish my stomach would stop trying to tell me it would love a midnight snack of cheese on toast and a nice cup of tea...
No comments:
Post a Comment