I wish it was more the silver bells, but more mulch mulch mulch is closer to the state of my garden. I've spent more time working on the wilderness out the front, and it's slowly turning from the kingdom of weeds into a tidy, weed free zone. The bushes I managed to get planted this time last year have done well and are looking healthy. The little ground covers did not survive and looked more like weeds so they have gone. I've now probably got about a third of it looking like it should, and if I can continue to lay the matting and do about 4 bags of mulch at a time, it should be finished by June, when I have another week of leave to use up.
Tomorrow I have a date with some bags of cow manure and a few punnets of seedlings to brighten up the back yard with lots of colour from some pansies and violas. And then the battle of the snails will begin. Fortunately a few years ago on Gardening Australia, I saw this hint about using glass jars and beer and it works a treat. The snails queue up to fill the jars then they all go into the green bin. It's safe around animals and small children and easy to do. I've got some old beer stashed in the laundry cupboard waiting for tomorrow's use.
I love pansies and violas, and they are so colourful and cheerful. They are so easy to grow and come spring, will make a lovely welcome home each evening.
So now it's time to soak my hands in a lot of hand cream and take my aching back off to bed....ooooooo ouch!
No comments:
Post a Comment