While the billy boils..

I'm making some poached peaches and waiting for the syrup to boil itself down to half its quantity...
So here are some things going through my head while I'm watching a pot boil .....

Sad things - Mum still not well and struggling everyday
Good things - Mum seems to have more good days than bad and says she can see she has improved a little over the last few weeks

Sad things - remembering two beautiful border collies no longer with us and anniversaries with them
Good things - will soon meet two new border collie puppies who are joining the family

Sad things - spending a whole afternoon pulling apart half knitted projects where I've changed my mind and no longer want the yarn to be used for that, all that time spent in knitting them gone
Good things - the bamboo yarn I am working with during the hot spells is knitting up beautifully, the blue summer cardigan with its gazillion stitches on a circular needle is living in my going-to-work-on-the-train bag. The spring striped cardigan is growing, with one sleeve half done and one front half done

Sad things - looking at my navy blue and my white winter cardigan knitting projects sitting forlornly in the spare room, and feeling too hot to touch them
Good things - I still love how they look and can't wait to get back to working on them if a cool day happens during my holiday soon

Sad things - feeling frustrated with things at work, and annoyed with myself for letting it get to me.
Is it my selfish  intolerance or just frustrated exhaustion where one person who "just forgets" all the time is costing the company money with her mistakes and I'm ready to scream, but the boss just won't recognise there is a problem? Is it my selfish intolerance or just frustrated exhaustion that makes me livid as I have told this one person, showed her, helped her and gone over it again a dozen times and the next day, yet again it's like I never spoke? so much so I refer to her in the silence of my head as "The Goldfish"...

Good things - at least I have a job and money and a roof over my head which is more than many.
And I've just had a lovely weekend spending some of it. I now have a nice new little tv for my bedroom which is all digital and hdmi and crystal clear screen.
I visited Spotlight for their "end of the bolt" sale and came away with 3m of 150cm wide latte coloured suiting fabric for $4.20, and some summer cotton voile and sateen in happy cheerful prints with soft and lovely pinks and greens in them.
I also visited a shoe store in desperation as my work shoe choices have dwindled down to about 2 items and one of those is a bit too well worn. I was lucky and had an excellent saleslady help me. Nothing was too much trouble and she got out lots of pairs to show me, and then found one pair among the sales items, so now I have not one, but two pairs of shoes for work, one at half price.
It will be bread and water rations now until the next pay day as I did not intend to buy the second pair! Well, maybe not bread and water, but I will have to forfeit a few treats to meet the budget I've got in place. Luckily I was cleaning the other day and found gift I'd forgotten I had, a free ticket to the local Gold Class cinema, so at least I won't have to forfeit seeing Harry Potter as my treat!

My syrup has now boiled down to the right amount and is suitably sticky. The recipe says I must now wait 30 minutes for it to cool....
Perhaps I might go and have a bath to remove the temptation of trying to taste it while scalding hot......

No comments:

Post a Comment