Soaking up life like a sponge

Tomorrow early, FP and MP leave after 2 weeks. I'm very sad to see them go, and I'll miss FP dreadfully. He's got some of my books tucked into his bags and it feels like a connection as I did buy them with him in mind. He's a voracious reader, and reads history books for fun, a love he gave to me. While MP was here, I got her to go over the art of making sponge cakes with me as I had not made any for decades and had forgotten so much.
Today I made my third ginger fluff and while I have improved out of sight, it's still not quite right. Perhaps today's had an adventure as just as I opened the oven door for a wee peek after the allotted time had passed, FP went sailing out the back door looking for his shirt on the clothes line, and a gust of 10 degree air went straight past my hands and the cakes began to sink. Oh well, at least they tasted good. I have a new gas stove and this is also part of the experimenting. Despite heating the oven for 15 minutes, the cakes took quite a long while to cook, and I suspect that what shows as 180 degrees is actually more like 160. B-in-L suggested I get some packet cakes and experiment on them to see what happens, increasing the dial by 10 degrees for each one. Maybe I also need to get an oven thermometer?
The cake looked quite tasty on the plate and there is no photo as it was all eaten. I really must keep trying as it is a skill I'd like to have. 
Tomorrow though, I'm going to try making a batch of pistachio biscuits. 
Right after I clean up my bedroom and restore it to rights after my visitors leave. 
And hopefully my gorgeous other half will have recovered from his sales trip and wake from his sleeping beauty act and visit. Poor thing. He does get so tired, yet he does look so cute when he falls asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment