I've got a pot of soup on cooking. Very basic. Some vegetable stock, a carrot, onion, potato, celery, corn, and beans with two whole breasts poaching in the stock. When the chicken is cooked, I'll pull it out and let it cool for a few minutes then shred it up and serve the whole lot over some udon noodles.
There's something about chicken soup. It always makes me feel better, warmer, and calmer. I don't know why. It's not a dish I grew up with. Mum's soup was ham and pea made with dried peas and bacon bone stock and I hated it with a passion. It was always too salty and served boiling hot so there was a table of slurping siblings and parents to put up with as well. Even now I avoid any mention of pea and ham soup in all shapes and forms.
I've got to go back to work tomorrow after a lovely week off work resting and doing very little. I just do not want to go back. I like most of the people I work with but toxic management poisons each day. The only thing that gets me there are some of the lovely people I work with. And the daily commute, a good 90 minutes each way is starting to get to me. It means I'm gone from home by 6.30 and not home until 7 and leaves very little time for myself once I am home. By the time I prepare food, do the washing and cleaning and tidying up, and try to fit 7 hours sleep a night, there is no time for fun. If I do go to the pictures or an evening at the theatre or try to have a life then the price is feeling even more exhausted for the next few days.
Anyway, enough grumbling. I am working on making this a year of change and my soup is going to help!
I went to see a show by the comedian Stephen K. Amos last Thursday night. It was nice not to have to wake at 5.45 the following morning, even though I was in bed by 11. It was a very funny show. He did swear a bit, but once the show started he dropped off a lot of the swearing and just got to being very very funny. I've got two more shows to go to this month, all tied in with the Melbourne Comedy Festival.
Later in the year I'm hoping more "cultural" shows might be on. Last year I saw the Merry Widow and I'm hoping for more like that.
Soup is ready !!
I like soup like that, I add some chilly, grated ginger and garlic, but that's pretty much what I do. There is something so comforting about chicken soup. I can't conceive of travelling so far to and from work. I think waiting two sets of lights is a long delay. It must be hard to fit things other than work and travel into your day. I've worked in schools like that, where the other staff are lovely but the people in charge can be bullies and quite incompetent. Glad you enjoyed your comedy night out!!
ReplyDelete