You say you want a resolution...

It's that time when the words New Year Resolution float past us and many of us try to find something attainable and yet usually by the time January has passed, most resolutions have faded like the fireworks of New Year's Eve.
Normally I don't even bother, but this year I decided to make some because I need to fix somethings for my own happiness.

So here we go in no particular order:
1. Do a budget and really stick to it (add list of more boring monetary goals here).
2. Health and Diet. Time to listen to the doctor and my body and compare what I am now with what I will be next 30th December.
3. Change jobs to one that offers more challenges, really uses my skills and that I will love waking up in the morning to go to.
4. Spring clean my house. (Call it feng shui or a darn good clear out) Make it clean and tidy and sparkle
5. Put the me back into my life, work is to be relegated to the hours of 9 to 5 and is there to provide funds for the future. I will be doing more things for me and having fun.

And have I started any of it?
Yes, the resume is being worked on. And by breaking up all that cleaning into little blocks, then I can do 5 minutes here, an hour there and get it all done. Today I attacked a badly overgrown section of garden bed and cleared it of grass, weeds and pruned the daisy bush in it. Tomorrow I will clean the top of a table that has become a dumping ground for "bits". I've got my meals organised for next week and a good walk each day is planned.
And the me bit? Well that's actually the hardest part to change.
After years of neglect, I've got to relearn how to put me first. I'm not sure I ever have. I think I was brought up to look after everyone else; to be responsible for my younger siblings; to think of others first; to not do this or that because of some reason, imagined or real. It's half a century of conditioning that has stifled me.
It sounds selfish, but if I don't then no one else is going to.
So here's to my resolutions of 2012. Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. I love your header, that makes me hum the song!! I don't think your goals sound selfish at all. Last year I learned that I must be happy and look after myself and put me first. It is just sensible. I love that you have goals and then you have ways of achieving them: that's the hardest thing to do. I am trying to do #1 and #4 especially this year. Good 'goaling' - one teacher at school turned nouns into verbs all the time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have managed to do half of the small table. It was covered in shoe boxes, old receipts and letters so I sat beside it with the shredder and after an hour had cleaned up most of the fiddly mess. It just means a few more books and bits to find homes for and it's done! I am looking forward to giving it a good dust and polish and then putting a nice ornament right in the middle of it to discourage myself from using it as a dumping surface again. Feels so good!

    ReplyDelete