When the world was a little newer than it is now, and I was just starting high school, there was one thing that I knew I was not interested in and did not want to study. Much to my Mum's disappointment because she adored it, and also taught it, I refused to even look at it. Mum would be in raptures over the dinner table about an exam she had set, but the mere mention of trial balances set me yawning, discussions about debits and credits just made a pile of mashed potato look like an inviting pillow, and profit and loss just saw me fall asleep in the gravy.
Yes, my mum taught book-keeping, business principles and practice, accounting, call it what you will, and it bored me rigid. I avoided any mention of the subject and made it through high school, then uni unscathed. Well unscathed almost. My sister became an accountant.
Through several jobs and work lives I've avoided it, apart from the odd petty cash tin, or keeping track of the footy tipping money sort of things. Then I studied IT when I changed lives the last time. I found I quite liked databases and they liked me. Fast forward a few years and I have a position where I am the company database "guru" for want of a better word. And still unscathed, well almost, I just have an adorable partner who also went to uni and did accountancy.
Still, I have avoided the whole accounting subject nicely.
While it's nice for the boss to call me a guru, it's hardly accurate. I just use logic, and reverse engineer a lot of solutions and I like problem solving most of the time.
So when the boss removed the problem some weeks ago, my life of non-accounting came to a shuddering halt. Every day is a steep learning curve of cryptic accounting terms, G/L means something apparently and how many journal types did these accounting bods develop??? I can write up deposit slips in my sleep and spend my nights dreaming about making bad debtor calls.
At least I've proved one thing to myself. I really made the right decision to avoid it all those years ago. And the words "Trial Balance" still has great soporific qualities.
No comments:
Post a Comment