Inertia

I'm having a four day weekend. Just because.
It's been a fun few weeks.
The change in the clock gave me bad jet lag symptoms that are only juststarting to fade.
My laptop hard drive died and had to go and vist Dr K (BIL) for some serious attention. Now it's back, all healthy and running the latest of everything. After a week of playing, most things are back in place. Luckily I'm a fanatic for backing up the most important things, so nothing much was lost.
And, after prolonging it for as long as possible, I finally updated my mobile. Yes, I've succumbed and joined the i-phone demographic. I'd waited for a few versions to go by so as many bugs as possible would be solved and it's been good timing, with the 4S and rumours of a 5 within a year happening. Telstra is also moving from 3G to 4G so I wanted to avoid any glitches there too. So now I have my lovely new phone, full of amazing apps and with a cute blue cover. It had to be blue. I can use it as a torch, takes amazing photos, apps to tweak photos, get my emails, an alarm clock, calendar, timer, ipod, radio, and GPS. I can check my emails, write shopping lists for Coles and Woolies, check the BOM for weather details, chat to my Dad on Messenger, look up the TV Guide, read the ABC news, find when my tram is coming, use Twitter to find what's happening to my train, read my stars, read books, find the answer to that annoying questions via IMDB, and play the occasional games. And I'm still discovering apps for other uses.
Ooooh and I can also make phone calls with it! And text messages.
I can remember saying to my Dad when I was all of about seven, that it would be good to have something like a phone in your pocket that you could take anywhere and it could do lots of things like being a book too. My Dad looked at me and said it would never happen. A few nights ago, I was trying to explain it to Mum. She couldn't understand how many things they could do, all she can see is someone staring at a screen for far too long. I've seen phones come from black Bakerlite monstrosities nailed to the wall, where a call had to be made via a telephonist, dealing with a party line. Then came STD and phones with dials, then push buttons, then the mobiles started to appear. I even remember seeing someone use the first old bricks, a business man standing at the top of the Queen St Mall in Brisbane looking very chuffed with himself.
Now I've got that world in my pocket. I wonder what will be next? Paying for everything by swiping it? It can already read barcodes and add it to my shopping lists.
And now, it's day one of my four days off, so it's back to being inert...

1 comment:

  1. It is magic, isn't it?? I remember seeing the communicators on Star Trek: those designers and Roddenberry were smart!! I am glad you can make phone calls and text!! We had a green dialling phone. My friend showed the children in her class a rotary dial phone and they just poked their fingers in the holes and pressed!! Most amusing!!
    I am glad your computer is fixed too. My new one is set to back up every Wednesday. Now I wonder if that is often enough????
    Enjoy your inertia....

    ReplyDelete