Some Like It Hot

It's been a hot day, close to 40 degrees and the same forecast for tomorrow. While some go into ecstasy over such a day, for me it is close to torture. No amount of air con, cool water, fans and staying cool strategies work on my head. As the thermometer goes higher, so does the pain in my head, then bring in some humidity and I am basically a write off....
It's frustrating as I had so much planned to do this weekend and all I can do is hide in my house. My garden is starting to get the look of a jungle gone mad and it is going to take hours to restore it. Some of the garden beds are destined for a complete gutting, the kikuyu grass has completely taken over some of the beds so it is just easier to remove everything, attack the runners, dig it over and start again. I'm seriously thinking of weed matting over some of the beds and a thick layer of bark and putting in drought tolerant daises and so on to remove the constant maintenance. Much and all as I don't like the stuff, I think I will have to invest in some weed killer and start up a regular program of spraying a line along the edge of the wooden garden bed borders as it seems to sneak in under these and pop up in the beds with its insidious runners.
I think I am also long over due for a decent holiday. After a night mare year last year, a short week off at Christmas was not really long enough to recover. I am up to the point were small things frustrate me and shouldn't and I have reached the point of asking why I am working so hard while others have a lovely lazy time of it because my hard work fills the void, and most of the time, this work is not mine to do but falls upon me because the boss sees me as the person who solves many of her problems. I think it is time she took on a little of the responsibility of seeing that a lot of the problems should not even occur if she were to speak to the people concerned. So why don't I do that? Unfortunately they hid behind her skirts and she refuses to see the problems. I will be so glad when one of the problems finally decides to retire this year. 
I've not had a chance to do any craft and this is also adding to my frustration. Not a single garment cut out, or a stitch knitted or the list of spring cleaning tasks growing shorter. 
Time to reassess what is happening. For the first half I had to put everyone else first and now it is the second half, and I am learning to be a little more selfish. No more taking on the guilt of others. No more being the bunny when it wasn't me who caused the problem. No more.
I'm sleeping in later, and leaving work exactly on time. If they want more, then they can pay me more. No more unpaid overtime. No more fixing problems, others can learn how. 
I'm planning on 2 weeks off later in the year and lots of long weekends to use up my weeks and weeks of leave....
Sigh
Vent over....
Normal service will resume when this ghastly weather has gone...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment